Friday 6 August 2010

From the recommendation of my friend Ian I am reading Shakespeare's Hamlet at the moment and, surprisingly, I am really enjoying it. I find it harder to understand than the Lord of the Rings but it is a very engrossing tale. The expressions and metaphors and such literary devices I have not got a clue what they are called that Shakespeare uses are really good. This is a book I know I'll have to read two or three times to really get it but I also know I will do exactly that. I'm not looking at any of the interpretations or explanations for the words and I feel my 21st-century mindset does not equip me for the 16th century English audience that this work was written for. I have never thought there was ever any hype about Shakespeare it just is really good no doubt about it. I do not think anybody could ever hype it up enough. People will be talking about and reading Shakespeare thousands of years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment