Wednesday 29 August 2012

My response to a Facebook post mentioning "disability denial".

"This disability denial bit is a big problem . Many people over the years have said to me when I've said it will be tricky with my gammy hand getting a job " You not get a job Paul, all that hiking and clambering round the hills you do and blowing harmonica in those bands , whats wrong with you , you'll get a job easily!" And that has come consistently from friends and people very friendly towards me ! I've had to patiently explain that even with the Learning Disabled jobs I'm going for I can't do the Control and Restraint stuff, essential requirement in many places, lifting people in and out of beds and baths, the same and I may struggle getting through the First Aid Course because I can't use my gammy hand for fine motor skill jobs . Not being able to hold paper and cut it knocked me out of Primary Teacher Training 23 years ago because they suddenly woke up to the fact that I couldn't do parts of the job on the last half of the final Teaching Practice when I was passing gloriously ! I was to nice and naive to sue them at the time but I should of as was told me by a friend later well in the know. There was no assessment of my fitness to train as a teacher when I started . Disability denial, but this time they were being positive . See how tricky disability denial is . It can be positive as well . I've done it since I've been 6 when I got most of my arm ripped off and its the only way for me to manage my disability."

No comments:

Post a Comment